Toddler death highlights blind cord danger
The recent death of a toddler from blind cord strangulation has highlighted the need for parents and practitioners working with children and families to be aware of the issue.
Caden Laine, who was 21 months old, died after climbing onto a chest of drawers and becoming entangled in the blind cords.
Whilst there is ongoing work around developing a new European standard on newly manufactured blind cords, most work is focussed on educating practitioners working with children and families to prevent these sorts of accidental deaths.
More information on the CAPT site
- Information on blind cord safety
- Information on preventing strangulation
- Information for practitioners on preventing strangulation
As part of their make it safe campaign, the British Blind and Shutter Association has produced a video on how to make blinds safer:
The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents have information on their site about the make it safe campaign on blind cords: